Wednesday, April 30, 2014

C'est magnifique

Outfit Details:
Bernie Dexter Paris print dress: eBay
Necklace & coat: ASOS (old)
Spectators: BAIT Footwear (similar)




Whew!  It feels so good to be back home and blogging again.  Getting away was nice, but I was starting to go stir-crazy.  I probably should have taken the opportunity to completely unplug from technology (as much as possible, that is), but instead I just cursed my iPhone's horrible battery life and watched more Boy Meets World in a 3-day span than I'd ever thought possible.  I'm so grateful to my guest blogging gal pals, who took such good care of my blog while I was away!  That sort of sounds psychotic, like my blog is a living, breathing entity -- but actually, I sort of believe that about most creative sources, so maybe it's not so crazy.  At any rate, thank you for bearing with me during my little vacation!  I'm back now and it's spring (ignore the snow in these photos!  They're from before my computer died!), and I couldn't be happier to get back in the swing of things.







This dress was a lucky eBay snag (from Bernie herself, no less!).  I'd purchased a different version of this dress on ModCloth (it had thin straps and more of a shelf-type bodice), but the unfortunately, the sizing was wonky and I had to return it.  I've gotten pretty good at knowing my size in Bernie Dexter's dresses, and for whatever reason, that dress simply missed the mark (pretty much across the board, according to the reviews).  To my joy, I found that Bernie was selling some of her pieces on eBay (she still does this from time to time, which is wonderful!), and I was able to grab this lovely version in my size.  I love the little sailor bow on the neckline, and there are puff sleeves, too!  The combination of this dress and coat remind me of Funny Face -- one of my favorite movie musicals.  Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire are a delightful duo, to be sure, but Kay Thompson steals the show for me.  I read her biography a few years back, and she was such an intriguing figure.  She sings a song called "Think Pink" at the beginning of the film, and then the three stars sing "Bonjour, Paris!" about halfway through; this outfit is kind of a hybrid of those two ditties, I think!  If you've never seen the film, you should.  It's so visually stunning, and the performances are wonderful!






Have a wonderful Wednesday!
xox Sammi

9 comments:

  1. Welcome back, my dear Sammi!! May your return to the internet world be smooth. :D Your dress looks like a little adventure is happening on it. I love all the tiny illustrious details, eep! Too precious. LIKE YOU. Have a wonderful rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay welcome back!! I missed your stylish posts! I just received this dress yesterday! So excited to style it up, although this recent styling is tough to beat. So pretty with the blue and pink!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have always loved this print, how awesome that you found it in a different style! I love your equating of this ensemble to Funny Face and quite agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny Face is a wonderful movie, but then again I love everything Audrey Hepburn. I totally get that vibe with the print! I'll also know to check ebay more often for such adorable dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to have you back! Your posts are always fantastic <3
    I love this dress with the bright pink coat. And that necklace is just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kay Thompson was hands-down my favorite part of that film. And yes, the combo is a bit like that film. That coat and dress just match so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a swell pink coat! And the necklace is too adorable for words!!!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY WELCOME BACK!! :D That dress is perfect.. how awesome you got it off Ebay from Bernie *_*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...