Thursday, January 30, 2014

Out on the lanai

Outfit Details:
Tilly Dress: Voodoo Vixen
White belt: eBay (similar here)
White flats: Yeswalker (on sale!)




Ahh, I like these photos so much better than the ones in my last post!  It helped that I waited 'til later in the afternoon to take these (that whole golden hour thing is very true).  I still don't fully have the hang of things, but I'm trying to make myself read a lot of tutorials (most of which I pinned a long time ago and subsequently forgot about).  I kind of have to do it in small increments though, haha.





It also helps that this dress just makes me smile.  It always makes me think of Blanche Deveraux from The Golden Girls for some reason (or maybe just Florida in general?), which is where I got the blog title from (if you're a diehard fan, you'll get the reference).  I'd been eyeing this dress for a long time a while back, and then it seemed to be sold out before I could purchase it!  I'd assumed it was gone forever, but then I happened to check the Voodoo Vixen website on a whim, and saw that it was back!  I had to order it immediately (after consulting with my friend Jana of Small Town, Big Smile on sizing -- thanks, Jana!), and I'm so glad I did.  Granted, the sizing is a *little* wonky on this dress, but it kind of has to do with my proportions more than anything else; the top gapes a LOT (I kept having to make sure all the buttons were buttoned), but the waist is quite roomy.  The latter was solved with the addition of a belt, but I think I'll need to find a matching camisole to wear under this before I wear it again, as I did experience a bit of a wardrobe malfunction a couple of times!  Oops.




It's strange to be posting these photos when the temperature here is in the single digits (and with the windchill, it's around -10 degrees -- which is like, -23 for those not in the USA).  I tried to take photos outside yesterday, forgetting how blasted cold it is, and I immediately regretted it.  I only took about 3 photos before I had to call it quits.  Sad, too, because I really liked what I was wearing.  I'll have to try again and hope that it warms up a little.  I really hate taking photos inside.  There's never enough light in my bedroom, and I'm still not satisfied with it as a backdrop.  I'm already anxious for spring to arrive.



I love my bangs so much more in these photos, too!


Have a wonderful Thursday!
xox Sammi

13 comments:

  1. You are making me excited for summer for the mere reason of seeing you in more adorably summery/Floridian outfits. Well, I'm excited for summer for warmth even if not- you'd make me look forward to it! This is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that dress so much! It sucks when you find something that looks perfect but it doesn't fit properly in one area. It's worse when it's in the bust and the buttons are all stretched out. Have to be extra careful! haha

    I don't know how people go outside in that cold weather. I don't even know what that feels like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pattern is perfect-. Soo nice.

    http://www.fashiondenis.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE! I'm so jealous that you get to wear this dress in all it's summery glory, while I had to try to winter-fy it in a recent post. I'm also envious that you were in Florida and got to be outside without tights.

    I can't believe you tried to take outdoor photos in -23!!! You are brave/crazy! I just wander around the house, trying to find a room with decent daylight for winter blog photos. Only another 2 months or so to go...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this dress is simply perfect I've seen it a few times now! and you've just confirmed how lovely it is!
    and I just LOOOVE your bettie bangs so much!! You are serious brave taking photos when it's that cold! England is freezing at the moment!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dress on both you and Jana! It's so pretty. Great Golden Girls reference in the title, too. I recently took a "Which Golden Girl Are You?" quiz on Facebook. I got Rose. :)

    http://www.notyouravgashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh this makes me miss my home state so much. I totally get you with the indoor photo thing, outside light and scenery just makes for the best photos.

    Such a darling dress on you <3 And major hair envy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely and refreshing to see some sunshine! I have a similar problem with button tops, they fit great everywhere except on the booby line... I just end up buying the size up instead now.

    Loving the new fringe on you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...and it's mighty strange looking at these photos when it's so chilly! But weather is always weird, isn't it? Why, three days ago it was snowing here in Alabama, the worst snow storm we've had, and today it reached 70 degrees. Whatever, weather. Whatever.

    I love that dress and belt--you pull off the cutest prints, Sammi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks so warm there, ah! I love the colors of that dress. such a pretty look!
    Rebecca @ tr[i]b[e]cca

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just got this dress too and I love it! It's still pretty cold, grey and wintery in the UK, but I wore it to work anyway, I couldn't help it :D You look so gorgeous in it and I love the addition of the white belt too :) I'm planning to wear it in Florida too when I go in April!
    I also find I have the issue that the top is slightly too small over the bust - I undid the top button to help a little, but there was a little bit of cleavage going on!
    Sian xx Rebel Angel

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how perfectly Floridian this dress is! It just looks gorgeous with the backdrop of palm trees...and I'm definitely wishing I were in Florida right now too! Our temps are in single digits here as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...