Wednesday, April 13, 2016

At the zoo


"Someone told me it's all happening at the zoo..." I know it's not very politically correct to say, but I always really liked going to the zoo. I used to go all the time with my ex-boyfriend, but I hadn't gone back to one since we broke up. It used to be too painful, especially seeing the river otters (they were like, our "thing"). But I'm at the point now where I'm past all of that and can enjoy these types of activities again without feeling that pang of sadness. Noting that progress is important to me. Instead of being overwhelmed with memories from my previous relationship, I can momentarily acknowledge what I once shared with someone and still have a great time seeing animals I love.


I guess that sentiment's only partially true – not because of the ghosts of past relationships, but because even when the animals are well taken care of (like they are at the Seneca Park Zoo), I still don't love seeing animals being kept in captivity. Although it can be important in terms of conservation and education, I still can't imagine that lions and polar bears can both be totally at ease living in a zoo in Western NY. Of course, being able to see a gorgeous tiger in real life is pretty magnificent... but at the very least, visiting the zoo as an adult does make you think. Regardless, I still had a nice morning at the zoo with my best friend, Wayne – and I had to wear this adorable zoo-themed skirt from Bryony + Co. for the occasion! Unfortunately, I forgot my camera remote at home, so I didn't get any pictures of this outfit while we were actually at the zoo... but I snapped some outfit photos when I was back home in my own little jungle of a backyard.


I've admired Bryony + Co.'s themed collections for quite some time now, and their newest Zoo line is no exception. I own a couple of their older pieces (from back when the company was known as Poppy), and in my experience, the sizing has been a bit inconsistent from piece to piece. They do have detailed size charts on their site (which you'll need to convert from cm. to in. if you're US-based) for each item. I followed the size chart for the skirt I'm wearing here, the Elspeth Blue Zoo skirt, which told me I should size down to a UK 10. However, I definitely should have gotten my regular UK 12 size, as this skirt is too tight to be comfortable on me. The design is SO darling, but it's not an item I could wear all day long. If you're in doubt on your size after consulting the chart, I think it's better to be safe than sorry and order the larger size (so do as I say, not as I do!). I really like this outfit though, and the coordinating cardigan is of a nice quality as well – it's a great sweater for spring, and I love the different colored buttons! I also adore the fact that all of their items come with their own little illustrated storybook. It's charming details like these that make all the difference for me.

Outfit Details
Elspeth Blue Zoo Skirt: c/o Bryony + Co.
Women's Cardigan in Lemon: c/o Bryony + Co
Spectators: B.A.I.T. Footwear (similar)
Pink camisole: similar


Bryony + Co. was kind enough to offer an exclusive discount code for my readers! You can get 15% off all full-price items when you enter the code SOUBRETTE15 at checkout! :)

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

5 comments:

  1. You go girl, take back the zoo!

    This skirt is super cute - I love Byrony & Co. I have a skirt from when they were Poppy England and love it so much. Their new lines are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bryony, although mine was Poppy England. So tempted by millions of their dresses!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you've progressed to a point where you can appreciate what was, and enjoy something you've always loved again!

    This outfit is adorable! I love these colors on you, and the fact that the (multicolored!!) buttons match the shirt and skirt… A+!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like going to the zoo, but I also feel awkward that the animals are there just for us to look at when they could be living in the wild where they belong. I mean, it's always cool to feed giraffes and see tigers up close, but it's still kinda sad for them.

    It's awesome that you were finally able to go back and do something you enjoy! I also love your outfit and how colorful it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really fantastic job on taking back the zoo and being able to enjoy it again. That's wonderful. So often there are subtle casualties like that after traumatic events (such as breakups) and its a truly powerful thing to reach a point where we can appreciate them again in a healthy, happy way.

    This is such a cute outfit. That skirt would be amazing for a safari trip (if not on the actual safari itself, then other parts of the vacay), too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...