Thursday, May 1, 2014

Blogger Interview: Delores of Wandering Past

Hi, everyone!  Can you believe it's May 1st already?!  I sure can't (though I am so relieved and happy that spring is truly upon us)!  Since I started the month of April off with a blogger interview (with Rhiannon of Happy Leaps -- take a look here if you missed it!) and got such nice comments about the idea, I've decided to start each month off with a new blogger Q&A interview.  I think it's incredibly important to support creativity within any given artistic community, and what better way than to feature some awesome new bloggers?  Kicking off the May installment of the series is the adorable & ethereal Delores from Wandering Past!


Name: Delores Harshaw

Age: 21

Tell me about your blog: I blog over at Wandering Past, where I usually have an array of outfit posts featuring vintage clothing or retro-inspired looks. Although my personal interests may surface from time to time, I want to include more of my passions for art, geeky obsessions, and diy/craft projects in the near future. 

What are you studying in school? I am studying BFA Photography at the School of Visual Arts in NYC. I will be starting my senior year there this fall, but I am hoping to pursue a Masters elsewhere after graduation.

What's your dream job? I would love to be a costume designer or set stylist. As much as I enjoy taking photographs, I find the idea of being a part of a big production to be really interesting. Whether it’s a set for a still image or a costume for a movie, I am just fascinated in the more hands on creation of personas and atmospheres, especially in fantasy settings.


Your favorite musical artist: My music taste generally ranges from punk, folk, indie, to even some oldies with favorites coming and going throughout different periods of my life. As of the past couple years, my favorites are Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, Mumford & Sons, and Radical Face.  However, I’ve recently really gotten in to Marina & The Diamonds. After years of obsessing over male rock stars it’s so refreshing to finally have someone sing about things I directly relate to as a woman. Plus, Marina’s sense of style is my absolute favorite.

Favorite food in the world? I have one of the most bland, boring tastes in food, so it’s got to be pizza or chocolate.

Favorite book (from childhood or now): I feel like I don’t read enough to have an ultimate favorite, but the most recent book I absolutely fell in love with would be The Grass Harp by Truman Capote. That story came in to my life at such a remarkable time and holds such a special place in my heart.

One character from a movie or TV series with which you identify: I identify with too many characters so I could probably go on forever. For the sake of settling on one I suppose I would have to pick Castiel from Supernatural. I come from a large family and often relate to Cas’ struggle to pick up the pieces and his relationship with Dean Winchester always reminds me of my relationship. There are a million other reasons why Cas is my favorite and why I feel so connected to him, but I won’t ramble here.

Do you have a celebrity crush? I actually feel like I have a ton, such as Jensen Ackles, Chris Evans, Tom Hiddleston, and a few other incredible actors. But I suppose my ultimate celebrity crush is Misha Collins. He plays my favorite character ever, Castiel, and is one of the kindest, cutest, and funniest people. Not only is his personal life story inspiring, but he is also the face behind the charity organization Random Acts and founder of the global scavenger hunt GISHWHES.

What's your favorite season and why?: I grew up in Florida where there really isn’t much of a change in the way of seasons. Most of the time the weather was just too hot and too humid and so I always wished that I had grown up in the North where I could experience seasons. Upon actually moving to the North East I have found that I absolutely hate it. Although I love the cool temperatures and leaves changing in autumn, the signs of spring are what get me most excited with the return of green plant life and blooming flowers. But in my heart I know I am forever a summer girl as I always feel nostalgic for it. I equate summer with beautiful sun showers, laid-back attitudes, and just some of the greatest memories I have made.


How would you describe your personal style?  I feel my style has a retro girly vibe, but with just the right amount of flower child ease and a kawaii pastel color scheme. As an artist I try to maintain a certain level of quirkiness too and I’m often told that I dress like my photographs. While I admire those individuals who look like a million bucks all the time, I definitely would like to keep a more open-minded, loose interpretation of fashion and pursue my own style with comfortable ease.

How did you get into blogging? For the past 3 years or so I’ve been running multiple blogs on Tumblr and even creating my own content for them, but ultimately felt like I was shouting in to the void. I somehow stumbled upon some lovely ladies on Blogger that were everyday people who dressed sort of like me. I guess I always knew fashion blogging was a thing, but I probably assumed it was reserved for the super chic, on-trend people. Once I saw these bloggers that could use it as a platform for getting some of their artwork out there, while using it as an outlet for fashion, I thought that making my own blog would be an excellent way to do the same. Creating this blog allowed me to channel more of my interests, including my love of social media, to one place where it could all be my own voice.

What are some other blogs that you love? When I first got into blogging, I definitely looked to MermaidensAhoy Miss and Scathingly Brilliant for inspiration. As I’ve spent more time in the blogosphere I have really come to love many other blogs, including Paulie AntiquesSmall Town, Big SmileThe Pineneedle CollectiveSwing the Day Away, yours (of course!), and many others. 

What's been your favorite post from your blog so far (or favorite outfit you've worn)? One of my favorite outfits I’ve worn on the blog is my vintage pink and green plaid dress I wore on my post “Touch of Green.” Whenever I wear that dress I just feel like a 50’s housewife in the best possible way. It’s also one of those outfits I didn’t know I loved so much until I would wear it in the city and get stopped multiple times to be complimented. As someone who is very insecure and feels uncomfortable a lot of times even walking in the city with attention grabbing clothing, I really appreciate those positive reactions and they definitely stay with me. 


Your favorite place to shop or favorite clothing brand: While I love thrifting and shopping for vintage, I do love places that carry vintage-inspired pieces. Modcloth carries some of the most amazing brands like Myrtlewood, Bea & Dot, Emily and Fin, Dear Creatures, and Nishe, to name a few. I love being able to find one-of-a-kind looking pieces that have a retro vibe, but are still sold in a practical way where there are various sizing options and awesome customer support.

What's the most beloved article of clothing you own? This beautiful brown 50’s mid-length dress that I have never had occasion to wear. It’s the most expensive thing I own, but it has the most unique lace detailing throughout the skirt and has a big bow up near the chest/collar.

Do you have a style icon?  If so, who? I used to look at tons of pin-up models and famous vintage styled ladies, but I often felt insecure about not fitting this type of image that I wanted to create for myself. When I first got in to retro fashion I committed myself to trying to have perfectly curled hair day after day, while always wearing vintage clothing from the 50’s – 60’s. After a while, I felt like I couldn’t make time for keeping up with these expectations and that I was restricting myself. By discovering diverse fashion bloggers that use various pieces to build upon different looks and create their own unique styles, I found the most inspiration for pursuing my own fashion sensibilities. I still look to classic vintage babes of now and then for overall inspiration, but now I’m much freer in just shopping and listening to my own gut reaction to the pieces I come by and how I can potentially incorporate them in to my wardrobe.

If you could only wear one outfit every day for the rest of your life, what would it be? Probably a pink cardigan and my blue Mustard Seed “Sweet Success” dress with little candy dot embellishments. It’s one of the comfiest things I own and its versatility has made it a go-to dress for me.


Thanks for checking out this month's blogger interview!  I've so enjoyed getting to know Delores, and her outfits are always so full of joy and enchantment.  Don't forget to follow her at Wandering Past!

Have a great May Day!
xox Sammi

6 comments:

  1. Oh she is just gorgeous! I adore anyone that can rock pastel color combinations like her. Lovely interview Sammi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I'm honored to be included in your list of favorite blogs! Your hair is gorgeous <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this interview! Thank you for including my blog in your list! :) Awesome interview, Sammi!!

    love, polly
    pollybland.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I really liked the questions because I felt like they helped me get to know this new-to-me blogger.

    P.S. Delores, what kind of photography do you like best or do mostly? Studio Illustration, portraiture, fine art, landscape, photo journalism etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fine art! I used to shoot a lot of landscape photography, but this year I've gotten in to self-portraiture and still life c:

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...