Friday, July 26, 2013

Friday Favorites #22: Deeeeelish

I feel like I may be scraping the bottom of the barrel for Friday Favorites post titles.  But for some reason, I don't want to give up on it and start doing numerical titles only.  There are a lot of delicious items in this week's post, so I guess it's not really that much of a stretch.

First of all, I don't know why I didn't find this Charlotte Olympia bag when I was looking at her stuff for last week's post... but I did already have a similar Kate Spade purse in the post, so I guess it's okay.  Especially because it's perfectly paired with this new popcorn ring from Betsey Johnson!  I desperately want both of these things, stat.


1 // 2 

Speaking of Betsey, she just unveiled a new zoo-themed line of jewelry on her website.  Here are a few of my favorite pieces from that:

Giraffe Pendant
a // b

Elephant Pendant
And my absolute favorite... this circus cage pendant!


I also really love these two necklaces (the latter of which is specified to be part of the same zoo line, though possums don't seem especially zoo-like to me):

Cow and Moon Pendant
Possum Pair Pendant
And while we're on the subject of animals... isn't this little denim rabbit dress adorable?


The act of ripping off designers has been kind of a hot topic this week in Blogland.  I think most creatives are outraged over the thought of other artists not receiving credit for their work, and rightly so!    There's kind of a strange phenomenon with Asian wholesale stores ripping off designs from pretty well-known artists, and the more I educate myself on designers, the more I notice it.  It looks like one of my favorite kooky brands, Lazy Oaf, has become a target for this as of late, as I've seen at least two of LO's designs showing up in places they aren't supposed to.  On the one (obvious) hand, I feel angry for Gemma Shiel and her team, because she has a unique aesthetic that keeps growing in popularity, and she's been working hard on her brand since 2001... and then people swoop in and steal her ideas, and cheaply mass-produce them without permission or credit.  It's a horrible thing to do to an artist -- it's the ultimate betrayal, really.  But on the other (probably quasi-controversial) hand, I am a cheap American who loves quirky brands but cannot afford them very often.  I've purchased counterfeit items from Asian wholesale companies (though, in my weak defense, I didn't know that the items were counterfeit at the time -- chalk it up to naïveté) because the real deal was far too pricy, and we live in a country where we have been told we can have it all, and therefore, we want it all.

I'm not going to buy this dress out of principle, but I am highlighting it because I have been digging this Lazy Oaf print for a long time, and I honestly really love the shape of this dress (and check out the sleeves!).  One thing I'll say is that Lazy Oaf doesn't often make silhouettes that are flattering on me, like this knock-off dress would be.  So ultimately, this issue is bad... but not 100% bad.  Because this dress is really cute.  It just sucks that it's ethically wrong.    

via ROMWE
But onto yummier things.  Like this amazing mp3 speaker that's shaped like a lollipop.  You can also unplug it and "carry it with you as an adorable lollipop accessory when not in use."  As a girl who loves a good prop... I obviously need this. 


Aren't these little food-inspired jewelry pieces adorable?  These are from two different Etsy shops, and each have a ton of yummy kawaii things!  Plus, the pancake ring is SCENTED.

3 // 4 

I would like this adorable sunny side up egg clock for my hypothetical future kitchen, please!

It should be pretty obvious that dresses + fruit are my favorite combination, and this vintage 1970s fruit dress from The Kissing Tree Vintage is beyond cute!!  


I adore Tatty Divine, and this burger ring is too awesome for words.


This vintage dress has radishes on it.  Need I say more?


I love this little teapot makeup bag!  Using the teabag as a pull tab on the zipper is a great idea.


And here are a couple of other unique bags I'm crushing on...

via
via
via
I also really love the book t-shirts that Out of Print makes, and I'm super excited that these two designs were added to the adult line (I think they were only previously available in children's sizes).
c // d 
(There's also a Superfudge one that's pretty cool.)

And this pencil dress is perfect for any bibliophile or aspiring writer!


In addition, this balloon top is pretty incredible:


And this dress is so much fun!  I think calling it the Just Desserts Dress is so fitting.

And I'm loving this sweet swing dress!  The heart-shaped belt is my favorite.

 THESE.  I WANT THESE. 

This has nothing to do with the theme, but this article is a really thoughtful commentary on how our generation uses social media.  It's unlike any other article on the subject, and it's the most relatable one I've ever read.  Read it here: All My Exes Live in Texts

Finally... if you haven't watched Orange is the New Black on Netflix yet... you need to.  Do it.  NOW. I am already gearing up to watch the entire 13 episodes for a second time.  Thank goodness it's already been renewed for another season.  Seriously.  Go watch it.


That's it for today.  Have a great Friday!
xox Sammi

9 comments:

  1. Firstly, EVERYONE needs to watch Orange Is the New Black. We got through the whole season in under a week and I want the second one NOW! So so good. Also, I love the cow and moon necklace :)

    xo Ashley
    thetiniestfirecracker.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, so OF COURSE I love the fact that you rambled a bit about ripping off designers because, um, obviously it's something that needs to not only be ranted about, but also made known to the world! It seems to be happening everywhere. I know that even major companies do like--this Forever 21 takes so many prints and designs and sticks it into their designs, selling them off for much cheaper. In the big scheme of things, it probably doesn't seem like a big deal (with people not even being able to afford the initial design at its high cost), but hot dog, that shouldn't excuse it and make it "okay"!

    Oh dear, now I rambled! Ramble, ramble, ramble.

    Okay, so that pencil dress is totally in my Modcloth loves. I seriously adore it. I can imagine it with some yellow socks and black peep toes, aaahhh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food themed clothes & accessories are kindaaaa my favorite thing ever so thanks for sharing a ton of them. I'm thinking I'll go watch Orange is the New Black. Seriously, no one will shut up about it.

    I love your commentary on cheaper stores "ripping off" high end brands. Sometimes it's hard to resist the good prices, but you're completely right.

    I found your blog through Room 334, & I love it. :)

    Flounces & Hubbub

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I really want that balloon top and I love the Betsey Johnson stuff!

    As for ripping of designers....I think I would be flattered. Ultimately people know where most of these are coming from, it just becomes accessible for people who can't afford the originals. And there are always going to be plenty of people willing to pay a premium for the original, just think of the original quilted Chanel bag or Loboutin pumps.

    xx
    Sophisticated Lace

    ReplyDelete
  6. You find the cutest stuff!

    I think I'm going to write a big old boring wordy post on art theft. It's been weighing heavily on my mind with the whole scandal in blog world of late!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a handbag geek so I couldn't help but drool over those CO bags. Btw, I found it funny that your post title was "Delish" and there were pictures of animals like rabbits and lions! That lollipop speaker is probably going to be on my wishlist.

    Brittney

    anotherbeautifulthing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. fun items! betsey johnson has always been one of my favorite designers! infact she inspired me to go to fashion school. I think she is amazing! love that popcorn ring!

    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there, long time reader! But not the longest - I went waaay back to the beginning of your blog because I hadn't been following since the very beginning so thought I should take a peek! Well I particularly like your earlier posts for being more... conversational, especially how you talk about the unethical quandary you went through with that Lazy Oaf reproduction dress in this post - I have that aaalll that time and NO bloggers I've followed (since 2010!) had EVER mentioned that. I also love your photos, I guess at this point you hadn't had as much experience/developed a method for taking blog pics but the variety of angles and poses and details and cuddles with your cat! These are more, I don't know, individual? than your more recent pics. I like them :) I know you didn't ask, and it's not a criticism! I'm just enjoying your archives and often we forget to go back over our own records for inspiration and to see how far we have come and your archives are great! Best, Emma :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...