Friday, June 21, 2013

Friday Favorites #17: Sweet Nostalgia

It's a good bet that my Friday Favorites will always contain nostalgic, pretty things.  This week is obviously no exception.  There are mostly a bunch of throwback, nostalgic pieces, but I'm starting off with a few dresses that are just pretty and peachy keen:  

a | b | c

And I love this 1950s style dress from Tara Starlet!



Bonne Chance Collections debuted some gorgeous new arrivals this week, including this beyond adorable pink strawberry number!  It sold out almost immediately, but I believe they should be getting more, so be sure to check back!
The print, the buttons, the scallop detail... I'm obsessed.
I really am into peach and pink lately, for some reason.  This Minnie Mouse watch is giving me flashbacks to my childhood!

... And so are these AMAZING '90s nostalgia necklaces from Von Trash!  How incredible are these??






And my all-time-favorite...


It seems like everyone is hopping on the '90s bandwagon right about now.  Maybe there's a formula in fashion that 13 years is the perfect amount of time to wait before recycling a trend.  Buzzfeed seems to agree with me... 


Then again, I love a throwback to almost any era!  Here are some retro (or what we'd consider to be "retro" from our 2013 perspective, at least) pieces I've been loving this week:



Tripp NYC Car Print Dress (Urban Outfitters)





This awesome post features contemporary fashions inspired by the American Girl dolls (a DEFINITE '90s throwback, but also containing previous era throwbacks within it... I love it!).  If I were a photographer or fashion designer, I would get ON this concept ASAP.  I would DIE to get a Samantha-inspired outfit, for sure (she does have my name, after all)!





via Refinery29
I'm also a sucker for anything that satisfies my sweet tooth!
Licorice All-Sorts Bathing Suit (Missguided) - !!!

This macaron print dress is SO darling.  Brava, Bonne Chance Collections!

This article on the best ice cream flavors of this summer has my mouth watering!!!


Mmm... summer... ice cream... makes me want to go to an amusement park!  
And this amusement park printed swimsuit is simply perfection.


These amusement park printed tights are so lovely, too.


It's finally starting to actually feel like summer around here, so it's obviously not the right time to be thinking about coats (though maybe it is price-wise), but these two beautiful ones caught my eye:

d | e

These two little skirts from Romwe are so summery and cute!  The checked one comes in a couple of other colors as well, but it only comes in one size, and that size is far too small for me, sadly.

1 | 2

I just really enjoy these door-knocker earrings!  If only my ears were still pierced!
I also really like these jewelry sets that look like envelopes!  They can also be purchased separately, and come in either white or brown!

JumpFromPaper just had a release party for their limited edition bags.  I don't think they're available for purchase online (and they're quite expensive anyway), so I'll be content just to look.  I love the polka dotted ones!  Take a better look here.


And in this week's "good news" category... 

These pictures of this orphaned pony with its best friend, a giant teddy bear named Button, will tug at your heartstrings for sure!

via
 Dame Judi Dench is just a total badass.  She embroiders pillows and things for fellow film cast members, but it's not nearly as sweet as it sounds...


I'm totally convinced that The Westboro Baptist Church is basically (and ironically) the source of all evil, but this little 5 year old girl really does restore my faith in humanity.

Finally... if you know anything about me, you might know that Hedwig and the Angry Inch is my favorite musical of all time.  I've loved it since I was in middle school.   My one and only (for now) tattoo is from the film version of the musical.


There's a long story behind its significance, but you can get the gist by reading about Aristophanes's speech in Plato's Symposium, or by listening to the beautiful "Origin Of Love."

I co-produced and appeared in our own production of it in last year's Fringe Festival here in Rochester.  And this week, the news broke that it's finally coming to Broadway, starring Neil Patrick Harris.  I like NPH a lot, and I'll be interested to see what he does with the character.  The show has one of the best rock scores in any musical, and the writing is so clever and beautifully heartbreaking.  Most of all, I think this is an instance where the star they're bringing in will not only do a good job, but will also bring a lot of attention to a musical that isn't really a household name (though I secretly kind of like it that way... I'm a bit of a snob!).  The writer and original Hedwig (and director of the film), John Cameron Mitchell, also gained some attention this year from a featured role on Girls, which I was ecstatic about.  I have to start saving (understatement of the year) so I can afford to see it!

And thank you, Buzzfeed, for this Hedwig-related article!  So true.

If you want, you can watch our first band rehearsal from last year's production... don't judge too harshly!  It was just a rehearsal!  I'm still in the process of putting a bunch of production DVDs on YouTube, so I'll hopefully have some better videos in the future...


That's all for this week's Friday Favorites!  Have a wonderful weekend!
xox Sammi

9 comments:

  1. Ahh, those door knocker earrings are AWESOME! You come across the coolest stuff. And that Rugrats necklace... omg. Nostalgia just hit me in the face like nothing has before.

    Also, those American Girl doll outfit sets are too precious. I remember how much I wanted one of those! All I ended up was with coconut the dog though. Still have him in my room, decked out in an aqua gladiator costume. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That strawberry dress is AWESOME and I really dig that swimsuit. Such lovely things!

    The Nautical Owl Blog
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That macaron print dress is super cute! And that Rugrats necklace would go perfectly with my Reptar tshirt. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I must have that car dress!!! It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh! I LOVED Samantha, I kept mine absolutely pristine - I still have her in preserved storage :) I'd melt for you to do a Samantha outfit!
    Love the strawberry dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lovvvvve Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Such a cool tattoo idea!

    xo Ashley
    thetiniestfirecracker.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the pinstriped overall dress! seriously so cute. i'm definitely researching the church now, just because you said that lol. also i used to love goosebumps! good choice!
    xoxo
    e
    http://nine-fortytwo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the throw back 90's necklaces! goosebumps and saved by the bell...good times! and the macaroon dress!!! eeeeee xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bumped into your blog and after scrolling through your posts, I must say I really like it :) How about we follow each other on Bloglovin and Facebook? :)
    Kisses from Zurich,
    K.

    http://beneaththecoat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...