Friday, May 10, 2013

Friday Favorites #11: Ethereal or Earthly

I am putting together this week's Friday Favorites whilst on the train to Yonkers!  The sister of one of Steven's best friends is getting married, and I'm going with him.  I don't think I've been to a wedding of anyone that wasn't a relative before, come to think of it.  So that'll be fun.  Here are some things that peaked my interest this week (most are ethereal, but some deal with more pressing, earthly issues):

This is an awesome article (and gallery) from author Maureen Johnson (not of RENT fame).  Her books are lumped into the teen girl, young adult fiction section (along with a bunch of other authors I've always liked, such as Sarah Dessen, Meg Cabot, Rachael Cohn, Megan McCafferty, etc.) and she was tired of getting feedback from male readers asking her to have her book covers be less "girly" so that they could read them.  It's pretty evident that if you are a female writer and have a girl as your protagonist, you are much "more likely to get the package that suggests the book is of a lower perceived quality ... because it's 'girly,' which is somehow inherently different and easier on the palate."  I've noticed this when I go into Barnes & Noble (though I am sometimes more bothered by the fact that the covers make the book seem juvenile than I am that they're girly).  So Maureen came up with a really cool challenge for her Twitter followers: to take a well-known book and re-imagine the cover design as if the author were of the opposite gender.  I've always been interested in gender studies, and the psychology of this is fascinating to me.  The results of this experiment were pretty telling (the first image is the original cover, and the second is gender-swapped):



VS.




VS.




VS.


And this video makes passersby think twice about how they view sexuality (specifically, the interviewer asks if these people think that being gay is a choice; if they answer that it is, they are forced to think about whether they chose to be straight).

I think it's sort of interesting that I have a big interest in gender studies, and yet I'm an ultra-feminine girly-girl about 98% of the time.  For instance, this romantic Kimchi Blue dress from Urban Outfitters is  one of the loveliest and girliest dresses I've found:

via Urban Outfitters
And wouldn't this gorgeous veil look beautiful with it?

via ASOS
In fact, I came across a plethora of sweet romantic dresses this week:

via ASOS
via Miss Selfridge
via Miss Selfridge
via New Look
via Miss Selfridge
via Pinup Girl Clothing
via ModCloth
I also love these pretty butterfly tights!
via ROMWE
And of course, no Friday Favorites would be complete without a bunch of patterned items...
via Choies
via ROMWE
via Choies
via Choies
via ROMWE
(These are so ridiculous but of course I want them!)
via ASOS
via ASOS
And I've been eyeing these quirky accessories:

Hat Earrings via SheInside
Rotating Carousel Watch via ASOS
Mermaid Lucite Earrings via Pinup Girl Clothing
Olivia Burton watch via ASOS
Fruit Cocktail Hat via Pinup Girl Clothing
Cherry Hair Clips via Pinup Girl Clothing
I started watching a documentary on Netflix that looks really promising, called The Woman Who Wasn't There.  I only got a few minutes in before I fell asleep (I had to be up super early for my train on Thursday), but I definitely want to finish it.  Seems to be about a woman who has fabricated a survival story about what she supposedly went through on September 11th.


Finally, these absolutely incredible, breathtaking photos have been circulating the internet for the past couple of weeks, but I wanted to post them because they are simply unbelievable.  You can read about photographer Kirsty Mitchell and her story here, and see her whole gallery of ethereal photos here.  (They are far more amazing when seen at full size, believe me.)
























All images via Kirsty Mitchell Photography

Have a beautiful weekend!
xox Sammi

5 comments:

  1. what a fantastic post <3 so many stuff i crave ! <3

    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it's got to be the stamp dress and the dinosaur top!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi pretty!
    I just found your blog! And i really like it!
    I am following you now, pleas follow back!
    Kisses,
    Emily,

    http://madeinlatvija.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those photos are simply amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the Disney leggings, haha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...